This expanded and updated Classic Edition commemorates the 100-year anniversary of William Strunk’s grammar primer, The Elements of Style. Generations of writers have learned the basics of grammar from Strunk’s little book. It was rated “one of the 100 most influential books written in English” by Time in 2011, and iconic author Stephen King recommended it as a grammar primer that all aspiring writers should read.
Elements of Style: Classic Edition 2018 includes the full text of Strunk’s original work, plus two new chapters requested by college professors and students to help clarify points of confusion in modern writing: Basic Rules of Capitalization and Style Rules for Better Writing. This edition also features some other enhancements making this grammar handbook even more useful:
1. Editor’s notes have been inserted throughout the book to flag grammar rules now considered obsolete and to provide up-to-date rules for students and writers.
2. Emojis have been added to help readers identify correct examples from faulty grammar at a glance.
3. A Study Guide is included in the last chapter.
4. The paperback version includes blank, lined pages in the back of the book for convenient notetaking.
5. The e-book versions have been restyled for improved display on the latest generations of digital book-reading devices.
Elements of Style: Classic Edition is now being used as a textbook in courses at University of Minnesota, University of Texas, UC Berkeley and elsewhere, giving students and writers a blueprint that they can follow to write clearly and effectively while adhering to the fundamental rules of English Grammar.
Note: Some courses may alternatively specify Elements of Style 4th Edition by E.B. White, or Elements of Style 2017, loosely based on Strunk’s book with over 500 up-to-date grammar and style rules for students and writers. If you are looking for one of these editions, check your favorite bookseller or college bookstore for details.